Friday, October 23, 2009

Once In a Blue Moon by Eileen Goudge Review

A few weeks ago, I was given the chance to read Eileen Goudge's new book " Once In A Blue Moon".
This was my very first read for one of Eileen's books, but she definitely has a long list of loyal fans with some of her previous books, which include; Domestic Affairs, Garden of Lies, The Diary, Thorns of Truth and many many more.
I have to honestly say, when I was first given the book I was a bit apprehensive, because I had it set in my brain that this was a straight up romance book, something I've never really been a big fan of. Why I made that assumption is completely beyond me now lol, because although there's romance in the book, it is so much more. When I first finally picked the book up to start reading it, I found it really hard to put down. And don't never tell anyone lol, but you know if you have a hard time keeping dry eyes throughout the prologue, than you're probably in for a good read. It's not that the book is that sad, it's just really touching. The story line draws you right in, and before long you'll feel like you're part of the book. Without giving too much away here is what the book is about:
Sisters Lindsay and Kerrie Ann have known hardship from an early age. Without guidance from their neglectful mother, their only aid came from an unlikely source, a retired exotic dancer by the name of Miss Honi Love. When the girls’ mother was sent to prison, Miss Honi tried unsuccessfully to save them from being separated and sent into foster care.
Thirty years later, Lindsay is still trying to reconnect with her sister. The owner of a bookstore in the sleepy California seaside town of Blue Moon Bay, she was lucky enough to have been adopted by a loving couple. Unbeknownst to her, Kerrie Ann has suffered a very different life. Bounced from one foster home to the next, she ran away as a teenager before becoming a drug-addicted single mother. Now, newly sober, Kerrie Ann is fighting to regain custody of the little girl who was taken from her.
Neither sister’s expectations are met when they’re finally reunited. But as the two sisters engage in the fiercest battles of their lives, they are at last drawn together despite their differences, restoring belief in the unshakable bond of family.


Hopefully this didn't give too much away for some of you planning on reading this book. I definitely enjoyed this book and found it to be a good read. And want to make sure everyone that's like me, and assumes this is just another romance book, it's not lol! Maybe it was the cover that convinced me of that lol ;)

Disclosure: I was given this book for free to review, this however did not change my opinion about it in any way. What you read here, is nothing more than my own personal and honest thoughts about this book.